In Search of True Passion

Passion is a fleeting feeling, I think.

It's not something that once you attain, you get to keep forever, in my opinion.

A lack of passion for something shouldn't ever be the excuse you give to allow yourself to not continue to pursue something you are interested in. You did not fail because you were not passionate, you failed because you were not diligent.

Maybe this isn't a correct understanding of passion. Perhaps there is something out there that stokes an eternal fire of enthusiasm that would propel even the laziest of people to action. But I don't think anyone should ever count on encountering such a thing. Most people probably don't.

I've always been quick to give up on getting good at doing something. Nothing kept me excited and interested enough for long. When my hope of reaching a destination encountered the reality of how long it takes to get there, my interest would quickly fade.

I would think to myself, "If I were truly passionate about this, then I wouldn't be inclined to stop trying." It wasn't really about passion at all, though. I just didn't want to put in the work. To me, I thought that simply being enamored with an end result but not the process meant a person was not going to be successful at that thing.

Passion needn't only be ascribed to things that are always enjoyable. Some elements of even the most enjoyable things might not be as fun. I think what really matters is that you want to like something, or that you want to be able to do something.

Comments

  1. This is something that's chewed on by a ton of interviews that I've listened to, and thus I hope I can offer a different, but slightly disparallel opinion. IMO, falling in love with the process, and finding a way to make "boring practice" into "fun free time" is the key to something far more than "how much you want to do it" is, because the former helps you pull through all the man hours you gotta put in. Great read as always

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment